Sure – Utica is famous for our Italian cuisine, chicken riggies and greens, but what might be lesser known is just how diverse the landscape of food is in our city. It’s become a melting pot of immigrants, refugees and transplants from all over the world and everyone has brought their unique style of food with them.
From amazing East Asian dishes to soul food and beyond, Utica truly is a global dining room. So, if you only had a weekend and want to be an adventurous eater – here are some of my favorite hotspots, in no particular order…..
- Pho Mekong – Fantastic lunch spot downtown. I highly recommend V40, or any of their Pho
- El Barajo – You will not leave hungry. Build your own lunch or dinner here on the corner of Bleeker and Mohawk St.
- Mi Casa Restaurant – Dominican fare right in Oneida Square
- Simmer Jamaican Restaurant – near the Saranac Brewery, I’m a big fan of their Jerk Chicken. Bring your appetite.
- The Lotus Garden – one of my favorite dinner spots in the city and a great place to celebrate a special occasion. Fantastic sushi rolls and gourmet East Asian flavors.
Look – there’s too many restaurants and international grocery stores to cover in one post, so here’s a piece of advice. Try something new. If you’re hungry and driving or walking through the city, take a culinary adventure to a place you have never been. Just ask what the chef’s favorite dish is, and I promise you’ll have a great experience.
I’ve also included small Google Map with the above establishments (and many more – including some of our international grocery stores) below. See you at dinner!