The Mohawk Valley region of Upstate New York, which includes Utica, Rome, Herkimer, and Cooperstown, is home to a large, vibrant, and growing Hispanic community. Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated in the region with a variety of events and activities that highlight the cultures and contributions of Hispanic and Latino Americans.
Here are a few examples of Hispanic Heritage Month events happening in the Mohawk Valley region in 2023:
- Hispanic Heritage Month Pop-Up at the National Baseball Hall of Fame, Fridays from September 15 through October 13.
- Latin Thursday at El Jarocho, Rome, NY, September 21, Salsa, Bachata, and Merengue dance
- DEI Momentum: In celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month Guest Speaker Saul Flores, photographer. Tuesday, October 10, MVCC
- Mohawk Valley Latino Association 19th Hispanic Heritage Annual Gala, October 14, at The Irish Cultural Center in Utica
In addition to these events, many schools, libraries, and community organizations in the Mohawk Valley region host their own Hispanic Heritage Month celebrations. These events may include cultural performances, art exhibits, educational workshops, and more.
Here are a few more ideas for celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month in the Mohawk Valley region:
- Visit a Hispanic-owned business. There are many great Hispanic-owned businesses in the Mohawk Valley region, from restaurants and shops to cultural centers and social service organizations. Supporting these businesses is a great way to celebrate Hispanic culture and heritage. Have you tried Miranda’s Cafe, HK Lounge and Restaurant, Tierres Tropicales, or El Jarocho?
- Try a new Hispanic dish. There is a wide variety of delicious Hispanic food available in the Mohawk Valley region. Take a chance on something new and enjoy a taste of another culture.
- Learn about Hispanic history and culture. There are many resources available to help you learn more about Hispanic history and culture. Visit your local library or bookstore, or search online for educational materials.
- Attend a Hispanic Heritage Month event. There are many Hispanic Heritage Month events happening all over the Mohawk Valley region this year. Check your local listings for events near you.
Hispanic Heritage Month is a time to celebrate the rich cultures and contributions of Hispanic and Latino Americans. By participating in events and activities that highlight these cultures, we can all learn more about our neighbors and build a stronger community.